The Young Pharmacists’ Group is an interest group of the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria. Membership is open to all Pharmacists licensed by the Pharmacists Council of Nigeria who are not more than 35 years of age and/or more than 5 years post-graduation from an accredited Pharmacy school.
YPG was established in 2012 following the restructuring of the Young Pharmacists’ Forum (YPF) and is modelled after the Young Pharmacists’ Group of the International Pharmaceutical Federation (FIP-YPG).
The Group which is made up of highly motivated individuals leverage on its professional training, intellectual capacity, and youthful energy to impact positively on the pharmacy profession and society at large, whilst encouraging continuous education, development of skills and future grooming of leaders.
Objectives of PSN-YPG
- To serve as an entrance level of fresh pharmaceutical graduates into the Pharmaceutical Society of Nigeria (PSN) as well as an interest group to nurture and guide fresh pharmaceutical graduates into the profession
- To provide a forum for young pharmacists in all areas of practice to share their ideas and concerns and encourage debate and participation in order to promote, strengthen and improve the profession of pharmacy. This will be done via networking as well as monthly and quarterly meetings/projects
- To provide opportunities for young pharmacists to meet with other members of their profession at social, educational and other events
- To produce innovative resources and reference materials of specific relevance to young or new pharmacists.
- To have a young pharmacist representation and voice at the level of the PSN and establish working parties to investigate and report on matters considered to be of PSN-YPG members
Vision of PSN-YPG
- To see an ever-growing number of young pharmacists actively contributing towards the implementation of the nation’s health
- To see pharmacy’s continuous development as an indispensable profession, occupying a unique and specific niche in healthcare systems nationwide
- To see pharmacy and pharmaceutical education being led and performed by individuals who are socially responsible, proactive, innovative, culturally competent and a lifelong learner
- To foster and promote young pharmacists’ participation at programs and activities at the national level regardless of their state of origin, socio-economic status, and gender or sex.
Mission of PSN-YPG
The mission of the Young Pharmacists’ Group is to help develop individuals who can act as agents of positive change at local, national and international levels, both in the profession and in society based on the spirit of national cooperation towards sustainable development.
Annual Business Meeting
This is an annual gathering of Young Pharmacists held during the PSN Conference. This provides the opportunity for all young pharmacists to participate and make inputs in the running of the group. The business meeting focuses on education, enlightenment, strategic planning, projects, and election of new executives.